J1 Summer Work & Travel Program 2018
The US J1 Summer Work and Travel Program allows International college and university students the opportunity to work and experience the American culture for up to four months during their school break.
e-JAM works in conjunction with J1 US Sponsors in providing: guaranteed Job placements for qualified candidates; the DS-2019 Form needed to apply for the J1 Visa; medical insurance for four months; assistance with housing and on-going support throughout the program.
Who is eligible for the program?
Students who are:
• Currently enrolled on a full-time basis in a college or university
• Between the ages of 18 and 28
• Registered for a full time course following the Work & Travel program
• Able to speak and understand conversational English
• Willing to work hard and perform the duties and tasks outlined in your job description.
• Able to stay in the United States through the duration of the program
STEP 1 - Registration
Non-Refundable Registration Fee: JA$2,500.00 (or US$25.00)
To start the process you first need to register by doing the following:
• Complete and submit e-JAM’s online Registration Form..
• Submit the following documents:
o Current resume
o Copy of your passport including any previously issued USA visas (must be valid up to six (6) months after return date).
o Two passport size photographs (smiling and professionally dressed).
o Copy of Social Security card (if you have one)
o Bank receipt confirming payment of JA$2,500.00 (or US $25.00) Registration Fee (Please print your name clearly on the bank receipt before submitting)
Once your registration information is received and you are confirmed as being eligible, you will be contacted by an e-JAM Team Member to organize an interview and to complete other official documents.
STEP 2 – Payment of Program Fee, Or Minimum Deposit
US$1,200.00 – Program Fee paid before November 30, 2017
US$1,250.00 – Program Fee paid after November 30, 2017
Payable by January 31, 2018
US$700.00 – Program Fee minimum deposit
Please submit bank receipt confirming payment with your name clearly printed.
Once your Program Fee, or deposit is received, you will have the option to select your preferred job.
STEP 3 – Request for Additional Documents
• Completed Sponsors online application form
• Completed Candidate’s Interview form in preparation for Skype interview with sponsor
• School verification letter
• Copy of School ID
• Proof of student status letter (deadline December 8, 2017)
You application will not be considered complete until all supporting documents are received. Securing a preferred job is based on a first come basis. Complete application package and deposit must be received by January 31, 2018. Once received, it will be forwarded to our program sponsors for them to start working on your placement. You will then be contacted for a telephone, or Skype interview. After confirmation of being offered a job, you will be required to pay the balance of your Program Fee, if it is not already paid in full. Job Offer Letter and DS Forms will not be issued until all fees are paid in full.
STEP 4 – Final Requests:
- Processing Visa Application and Pre-departure Orientation fee of - JA$2,500.00; payable immediately after the DS-2019 Form is received and prior to office appointment for mandatory orientation.
- Police and Medical Reports
- Airfare Deposit of US$300.00
STEP 5 – Mandatory Orientation / Online Embassy Application
You will be contacted to attend the mandatory orientation, held at our Ocho Rios office. Your online Embassy application will also be completed and submitted during the same office visit.
Before making any payments:
1. Please ensure that you are eligible to participate in the J1 Work & Travel Program
2. If you don’t have a passport, or need your current passport renewed, it must be taken care of prior to registration. Passports must be valid for the full period of your work assignment, i.e. four months, plus 30 days allotted for traveling.
3. In order to process documents faster, we are encouraging all of our applicants to apply and submit their documents online.
The W/T program is a great opportunity to work and learn about another culture, and an opportunity to meet other international students. e-JAM is very selective in who they put forward for the Summer Work and Travel Program, we are seeking students who will be Ambassadors for Jamaica and make us proud.